Menu planning for the last of this years' holiday revels, finally celebrating with my parents and sis on Saturday...snowstorm notwithstanding.
They're arriving in the early afternoon and leaving in the early evening, so a full-on dinner menu would've been too much, a bunch of snacks and hors d'oeuvres too little.
Here's what I think will be just right (and will save me grocery shopping strife by tapping into my pantry and root-cellar...)
Snacks to set out on arrival:
- Caramelized onion dip with crudités
- Trio of crostini: fresh ricotta and fig jam with wild aromatics (pantry!); marinated chickpea (pantry!!); pork rillettes and pickled onion (freezer! pantry!!!)
Light meal, late afternoon:
- (Cups of) Butternut squash soup with brown butter and creme fraiche (root cellar!);
- (3 each) Diver scallops with chanterelles, sherry and parsley breadcrumbs;
- Blood orange, date and almond salad with Parmesan;
- Chocolate mousse cake with raspberry coulis (frozen, leftover from Christmas!)
Simple, and a good use of the well-stocked kitchen left over from holiday indulgences. But on Sunday night, that tree is hitting the curb...